Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Such a Silly Tooth Fairy!


A couple of weeks ago we went out to Subway for dinner. When Lena bit into her sandwich she got really upset and told me that sandwich hurt her tooth. I completely dismissed her complaints (she does tend to get headaches anytime I ask her to clean her room). However, to my horror I realized that her front bottom tooth was hanging by a thread! I was pretty annoyed that sandwich caused my daughter's tooth to fall out and vowed not to come back. The call to Lena's dentist in the morning revealed the awful truth - it is time for my baby to loose her baby teeth... Emotionally, I was not prepared to deal with such trauma, so I went into denial...

Keith had to bring me up to speed on the whole tooth fairy business before he went to work that night. I told Lena that if she managed to pull the tooth out on her own, the tooth fairy would come. My diligent child had accomplished that task within minutes. If only I were that good at my task... I accidentally threw away her tooth into the garbage can while cleaning up after dinner.The extensive sweep of the territory came up negative... Subject in question was MIA... I improvised by telling Lena that I would put the tooth under the pillow after she fell asleep because fairy was not allowed to come otherwise... I remembered someone mentioning coins but my wallet only had pennies which I did not see as worthy of a first-baby-tooth-out award. Paper dollar had to do...

I went to work the following morning excited to hear from Lena about her visitor. However, she never called. Imagine my shock when I came home and she still hadn't mentioned anything. I started questioning my sanity, wondering if I somehow lost the dollar between the kitchen and the bedroom. I ran and looked under the pillow... the dollar was still there... Apparently, I was more excited about the whole concept than Lena... She forgot to even check her pillow in the morning...

1 comment:

Jessie said...

I was overwhelmed with joy when I visited your blog today. So many new posts! Good job! I didn't realize Lena/Ben and Keith came to see you in Tillamook. Where have I been? I know, I know . . . harder to reach than the White House. I think I lose my mind when it's so hot.